Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Bullying is Risk Factor

Today’s youth faces many challenges and pressures as they navigate their often busy lives. Many people are often unaware of the true trials that kids deal with on a day to day basis. There are risk factors around every corner and trying to dodge them is becoming a full time job for teens.

I personally think that one of the biggest risk factors for youth is bullying only because of the number of terrible things that it can lead to. As someone who was bullied for a good ten years, I can personally tell you that it does not lead to anything good. I seriously contemplated suicide and self-harmed for a good year. I have depression and I seriously considered not eating for the rest of my life. As far as the results of bullying goes, I pretty much acquired every bad one possible, and I can honestly say that I know just as many people who were in the same situation as me. Bullying has become an epidemic, something that kids see as a rite of passage. You either have to be bully or be on the much less enjoyable receiving end. Neither of these seem very appealing, but kids even as young as five are doing it. I’ve seen firsthand a kindergartener bullying other students in her class, purposefully leaving them out of things. It only gets worse as you get older.

Previous generations never saw the harm in picking on other students. Some parents encouraged it and others told their kids to forget about it. No one really understood the long term effects of bullying. My own dad still doesn’t understand them and used to constantly tell me to just get over it. That’s how were problems were solved when he grew up. Now bullying is driving kids to commit suicide and become anorexic just to fit in. It’s become routine to pick on the “different” kid, the kid who is a little overweight, or the kid that’s just socially awkward or shy. The effects for LGBT youth are even greater. In fact, according to The Trevor Project, LGBT teens are four times more likely to commit suicide than straight teens (“Facts About Suicide”, 2014). That seems insane to me.

As a teacher, I am 100% instituting a no bullying policy. No one should have to feel the way I did. I know that when does happen (because let’s face it, kids are going to do it until they realize that it’s wrong) I need to intervene and talk to the bully, not the victim, and explain how it’s very fun to be left out or made fun of. Sometimes it’s going to take two or three talks, but as long as I am committed to stopping it, it won’t happen. Everyone deserves to be treated with respect. No one should feel like they shouldn’t belong on this Earth because we all have a purpose and I am willing to help my students find that purpose.

Facts About Suicide. (2014). Retrieved October 21, 2014, from The Trevor Project. http://www.thetrevorproject.org/pages/facts-about-suicide

2 comments:

  1. Bullying is definitely something that is not taken as seriously as it should be, especially within the classroom, and I think it's great that you're taking a stand against it. Teenagers especially are almost constantly surrounded by comments about how they look, how they dress, and who they are as an individual, and until someone speaks up about it, nothing will change. I love your comment that "everyone deserves to be treated with respect." No one person is more important or greater than another, and social media in today's society has unfortunately taught young people that their value as a human is based on what is written in the comment box or how many likes they get on their pictures. Bullying is an incredibly important issue to address within the classroom, and it's also important to acknowledge the terrible things it causes, such as self-harm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bullying is a huge risk factor in schools today, especially because it extends to social media, as well. As someone who was bullied, you have insight and I believe that it will help you become a better teacher and one that is committed to stop bullying. It has become an epidemic, and it isn't always clear on how people should address the situation. As educators, we need to make it clear to our students that bullying will never be tolerated. Hopefully with enough effort and education about those who are different, our students will learn to have sympathy for those who are different.

    ReplyDelete