Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Tolerance

Looking through the Teaching Tolerance website was a different experience. A lot of the activities and lessons on there are extremely informative and helpful for teaching the social justice issues that we’ve been learning about all semester. I did, however, find it really hard to find a lesson/activity that I thought was suitable for kindergarteners. Once I did find some, it was easy to narrow it down to the ones that I would feel comfortable teaching.
One lesson that I found (and loved!) was a lesson on family. I really love the idea of kids exploring what makes every family different and the fact that not all families are the same. A lot of kids nowadays come from families that stray from the norm (you know two parents, 2.5 kids, a dog). In fact, black and Hispanic children are more likely to only live with one parent and many Hispanic children live in a multigenerational household (Vespa, Lewis, & Kreider, 2013). It’s important for kids to see that even if someone else’s family doesn’t look like yours, it is still a family. I really liked the objectives of this lesson because they really seemed to fit kindergarteners; being able to “exhibit pride in their own unique family without judging other families” is one objective that I find very important ("My Family Rocks!"). Kids with two mommies or two daddies often get made fun because a lot of kids are taught that that ‘isn’t right’. This way they can appreciate their own families as well as others.
Another idea that I thought would work well for younger students is Mix It Up day. We actually did this at my high school a few years back and it did not go well. I think that it might be more successful if you tried it with younger students because they are more willing. I believe that it is easier for kindergarteners to open up and try new things because they hold no prior prejudices. Mixing it up at lunch will be a challenge to navigate, but I think that they’ll be able to meet some new people and open up their little world. Then, after lunch the teacher can follow up and see what the students learned or thought about their time with different students (who may not even be in their class or on their bus).  

Vespa, J., Lewis, J., & Kreider, R. (2013, August 1). America’s Families and Living Arrangements: 2012. Retrieved October 29, 2014, from http://www.census.gov/prod/2013pubs/p20-570.pdf

My Family Rocks! (n.d.). Retrieved October 29, 2014, from http://www.tolerance.org/lesson/my-family-rocks

2 comments:

  1. I found it difficult as well to find an activity suitable for younger students, but it is still important to include lessons about diversity in our lesson plans. Especially at such a young age, when students are beginning to learn about themselves the most, we must include these types of lessons into our curriculum to remind our students that everyone is different, and that's okay. Students are constantly surrounded by different opinions, critiques, and judgements, and when they're at school, it is our responsibility to shape and mold their minds with the correct mindset about one another.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it is an extremely good idea to teach young children about the diversity of family life. As a student of divorced parents it was always difficult thinking that my family wasn't normal or "together." Educating students about all different types of families will hopefully help them become more open-minded. Perhaps if they think that "different" families are "normal," then one day they will think "different" people are "normal," and the cycle of discrimination and oppression will cease to exist.

    ReplyDelete